This video is the process of me painting with gouache in my Strathmore watercolor sketchbook as a beginner. This is not a typical tutorial as you often see on my channel, but rather the process of me trying something new. I’d love to take you on my art journey where I explore and try new things, and hope this will inspire and encourage you to do the same.
As far as I experiment and learn, here are a couple of things about gouache:
- Gouache is a water-based painting medium just like watercolor, which means you can activate it with water
- It’s also known as ” opaque watercolor ”
- Different between gouache and watercolor is : Gouche is opaque, and watercolor is transparent
- You can use gouache as watercolor by mixing it with water just how you do with watercolor, and it will give you a transparent look
- If you want to get an opaque like acrylic, mix less water or don’t use watercolor at all
- Gouache can be reactivated with water just like watercolor, so if you still have a lot of paints on palette, save it for the next time use, don’t clean it off.
- Gouache is versatile, which allows you to work from either light to dark or dark to light.
- Gouache is forgiving when it comes to mistakes, you can always cover with another layer of paint since it’s opaque. This makes gouache such a great medium for beginners.
You can watch my YT video to see how I painted 2 different mini landscapes with gouache in my sketchbook to have a better understanding of how gouache works.
Below are couples of images of the paintings I’ve done in my video.
Supplies mentioned :
Holbein artist gouache set of 12 colors: https://amzn.to/3HKXmIj
Princeton velvet touch long round size 8: https://amzn.to/3LwI240
Princeton select flat shader 12: https://amzn.to/3gIWvf4
Strathmore watercolor sketchbook soft cover: https://amzn.to/3uSaY0q
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this description may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product with the links that I provide, I may receive a small commission, and it can support me in making free content However, there is no additional charge to you. I appreciate your support.